Today I thought I would do something different so I started on my friend’s 1959 Cadillac clock and a Studebaker clock. These clocks are driven by a spring that is wound via an electromagnetic coil. When testing the Cadillac clock nothing happens and when testing the Studebaker clock the winding coil keeps engaging and does not wind the spring.
I start by getting the movement out of the tin can that holds it.
The movement is in decent condition with no corrosion or excessive wear!:)
Here you can see the mainspring and the contact that engages the coil.
Here you can see the winding mechanism! I try to remove it, but it’s stuck… The glass in the front chipped a little in the process and I consider myself lucky the glass did not shatter! I can dismantle this from the back so I will continue.
I remove the coil bridge.
Here you can see the magnetic plate and spring and the driving/ratchet wheel.
I remove the upper train bridge and here you can see pin pallet escapement in all it’s glory!
The hairspring is fixed in place with glue! I do not want to risk breaking it so I clean the jewel and other pivot holes with pegwood and Rodico.
The ratchet click is worn and not catching the ratchet wheel hence the non-stop winding action when power is applied.
I file a new surface and now it works fine.
I clean all the parts.
I put the gear train back in place.
Movement coming together!
Here is a little video of the mechanism.
Movement back together and working!:)
Now for the Cadillac clock. I have two clocks so I will make one out of the best parts from both.
Nothing wrong with the sporty design!
I remove the winding mechanism.
Here you can see the Cadillac movement in all it’s glory. In principle exactly the same as the Studebaker.
Here you can see the dial and hands.
I remove the dial and you can see the hour wheel and a dial washer/spring.
The Cadillac clock is a little more stained, but everything seems to be in decent condition.
I have removed the coil module from the back.
I removed the movement plate and you can see the gear train. The hairspring is fitted with a little pin, so I removed it for cleaning.
Everything taken apart for cleaning.
This is the top jewel for the balance staff! The balance staff is shaped like a cone and end shake is adjusted with the screw it sits in.. Crude but it works and makes for a super solid balance staff!
Needless to say I see no need in polishing the movement plates or wheels. This is about function only! 😛
I get the gear train in place.
Movement coming together and is ticking again.
Funky looking thing!
Dial and hands go back onto the movement. The hands were nicer from the donor movement so I used them!
Here you can see the bezel, the crystal is full of small scratches and could do with a little polish.
I take the crystal out for a clean and polish (I’m lucky it’s in one piece)
The setting pinion is basically push fitted in place…
Here is a little video of the Cadillac clock:
Clock back together looking very flashy!
Proof is in the pudding! So I test that the coil engages when wound down on my car battery.
I must say they made them look a million dollars back then!