This Seamaster 565 has had the hairspring mangled pretty bad, I have a donor balance, but think I might as well try and repair the old mainspring if it’s possible.
I have removed the osculating weight.
That hairspring looks pretty mangled.
The movement was held in place with rubber bits.
I remove the dial and hands.
I take the date mechanism apart.
That hairspring looks pretty nasty!
I used the potential donor balance as reference.
I start getting the hairspring somewhat in a position so I can work with it.
After a couple of hours.
The hairspring looks pretty good compared to the donor.
I fit the balance back into the movement to see how it preforms. Dial down looks good.
Turn the movement around dial up. That’s a promising start!
I take apart the autowinder mechanism.
The movement coming apart nicely.
I remove the old mainspring.
Movement has been cleaned and is ready to be put back together.
I see that the balance moves freely after fitting the shock jewels.
I fit a new mainspring.
I start putting the movement back together.
Put the setting/winding mechanism back together.
Date/setting mechanism back in place and the movement is ready for dial and hands.
Dial and hands back on the movement.
Movement back in the case.
I fit the osculating weight.
Another nice Seamster ticking again!:)