Project Fortis Marinemaster

IMG_0057

I saw a Fortis Marinemaster kit on e-bay. Seller claims it is a NOS set, but there are some online discussions debating wether it is a reproduction kit from China or not. The set was not too expensive and I decided to buy it. I also bought an Accurist donor watch that has the appropriate ETA calibre 2783. I want to state for the record that I do not claim this to be an authentic watch, but rather a fun project for my own amusement. 

IMG_0058

Let’s start off by having a closer look at the kit. The case back looks well made!

IMG_0059

Dial looks very good.

IMG_0060

Case is well made.

IMG_0061

Case ring looks correct.

IMG_0062

Rotor looks good.

IMG_0063

Hands look good.

IMG_0064

Case back markings.

IMG_0066

Here is the donor watch. Fair to say nothing hugely important will be lost in the world of horology.

IMG_0067

The movement is in top condition.

IMG_0068

Not bad for a watch that probably has never been serviced since new.

IMG_0069

I must admit I do like the tiger eye dial effect!

IMG_0070

Dial and hands taken off and everything looks very good.

IMG_0071

Well I have to change the rotor.

IMG_0072

I push the rotor bearing out of the osculating weight.

IMG_0073

I then push fit the bearing onto the new osculating weight .

IMG_0074

Like magic, the Accurist movement has been transformed into a Fortis movement;)

IMG_0075

I start taking the movement apart. Here you can see the autowinder gears.

IMG_0077

It does not take long until it’s almost completely apart.

IMG_0078

Old mainspring before taking it out of the barrel.

IMG_0088

All the parts cleaned and ready to be put back together.

IMG_0086

I dip the pallet, escape wheel and cap jewels in Epilam

IMG_0089

I see that the balance moves freely after fitting the cap jewels.

IMG_0153

Gear train comes together.

IMG_0155

Base movement back together and running.

IMG_0156

ETA performance.

IMG_0154

I dip the autowinder wheels in Lubeta.

IMG_0157

The date mechanism back in place.

IMG_0161

Oops.. Dial feet do not align with the movement or date ring…

IMG_0159

Well this is not going to work…

IMG_0162

The old dial feet get chopped.

P1030606

Dial foot soldering time!

P1030605

I have customised the tip of my soldering gun.

P1030609

After a lot of trial and error I get somewhere. I still have to match the dial foot master; Christian at watchguy!

P1030611

Lets try again…

P1030612

Yes! That took a lot of attempts! Phew, I did not burn the dial.

P1030613

The hands go onto the movement.

P1040088

I have to say, the movement looks pretty snug in its new case.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

P1040090

Too large for my wrist, but I like it!

This was a project just for fun. I do not claim in any way this is an authentic watch. I gave the watch to my stepfather who thought it was much cooler looking than the Acuurist, so time well spent;)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Project Fortis Marinemaster

  1. Cool project, and a vast improvement on the Accurist…..
    Thanks for sharing openly and honestly!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s